The Ontario Table Tennis Association has selected Joyce XU as the recipient from Ontario for the second 2020 Academic Scholarship from the Champlain TT Club. Congratulations to Joyce.
Joyce is a member of our National Team and has recently been selected to represent Canada at the upcoming World Junior Championships. She will be attending Western University in London, Ontario.
TTCAN’s Board of Directors, thanks Norm Tang and Mariann Domonkos for their generous and thoughtful contribution.
The Champlain TT Club was created by Mariann Domonkos 30 years ago at the CEGEP de l’Outaouais in Hull, on Champlain street, which gave the name to the club. The club then moved to several locations over the years. When the CEGEP was completely renovated the club moved to Carleton University. Many coaches and administrators contributed to the development of the players in the club including Mariann Domonkos, Norm Tang, Adham Sharara, Donald Davidson, Attila Csaba, Guoxi Su, etc. The players were from both sides of the river (Ottawa and Hull). Norm Tang’s family were players at the club and Norm took an active role in the management of the club together with Mariann, and later with Mr. Su and then with Attila. The club is no longer in existence, but it has a fund that was developed over the years. It is from this fund that scholarships are offered to players attending college or university from Ontario and Quebec, one from each province every year.
In 2019 the scholarships of $1,000 each were given to:
- OTTA: to Robert Cloutier, Para table tennis athlete from Ottawa
- FTTQ: to Adina Cuchirita from Montreal
The Directors of the Champlain Table tennis Club agreed to ask TTCAN to administer a $10,000 “Scholarship Fund” starting in 2020 for the benefit of student athletes in Quebec and Ontario. This is in addition to the scholarships provided in 2019.
For 2020-2021 academic year the conditions remain the same:
- One $1,000 scholarship to an active player from Quebec attending University or College (September 2020) – Awarded to Mattéo Martin
- One $1,000 scholarship to an active player from Ontario attending University or College (September 2020) – Awarded to Joyce Xu
- Each provincial association to establish its own selection criteria and select the player of its choice, provided that the player is already attending university or college, or is registered for September 2020.
- The selection of the player/student from each province to be made before 31 August 2019.